Anker's House Museum
The Anker's House adjoining the Parish Church was the residence of an Anker/Anchorite - a religious recluse from the 14th to the 16th century and was probably established sometime around 1350 - 1380. Up until 1547 it was the residence of six anchorites who in turn were walled up in the house for life to spend their time in prayer and comtemplation. After the Reformation, the anchorites disappeared and their dwelling became an almshouse.
This Anchorage has been described as the most complete example of its kind in England and is in itself the Museum's main exhibit. It is housed in a small annex of the main church building.
The exhibition, besides illustrating aspects of the life of a late Medieval Anchorite, contains archaeological items left by past inhabitants - Roman, Anglo Saxon and Medieval - of the town found on the site and displayed in the three small rooms of the Museum.
| Printable Version|